Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lent No-Nos

I'm not Catholic, but I've been practicing Lent since high school. I suppose I just like the challenge it brings. Things I've given up in the past included: fast food, Facebook, coffee, soda, junk food, etc. Who am I kidding, it's mostly food. This year, I'm also giving up a few things. It's been about a week and I'm proud to say I'm on the right track!
For the past few years I've been fasting meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays since my boyfriend's Catholic. Oh, the things I do for loooOOove.

1. All you can eat meals
This is very easy for me since I'm not a big fan but for my boyfriend, on the other hand, it is extremely difficult. He always wants ayce korean bbq or sushi.

2. One alcoholic drink per week
This is more of a limit than a whole giving-up thing. So that being said I don't really count this either since one drink/week is enough for me.

3. No Junk Food
This is the one. This one right here. Since jet-packing out of my parents' house (kidding, I half-begrudgingly moved for work), I've been eating pretty poorly with my boyfriend. You know the deal. Get home from work pooped as a .. (drawing a blank here) snail (?), there's enough food in the pantry but no fresh veggies. There's too many ingredients to combine for a passable meal and you decide to just pick up some chik-fil-a. Spicy chicken sandwich with pepperjack, please. And yes waffle fries nomm.
Anyway, so far we've been cooking at home everynight and actually grocery shopping on the weekends.

The Meatless Days
For Ash Wednesday I made a meal and held the meat. It was easy. For the first Friday, however, we went to Red Lobster. Now, I've never been but my boyfriend loves the place. We ordered a lot- the lobsterita, appetizers, and two whole entrees. Add the biscuits to that and I had a lot of leftovers, a huge bill, and some food poisoning from undercooked shrimp. It wasn't a great experience, but I had a lot of fun hanging out watching All-Star events and catching up that I don't feel too guilty for spending the moolah. Then again, thank goodness that was in my February budget. It won't happen again in March!

No comments:

Post a Comment