Monday, March 5, 2012

Financial self-defense

hai-yah!
A few days ago I woke up to a fee of $8 from my long-time conglomerate bank. I was saddened, because I could have prevented the fee if I'd just kept a larger buffer to keep the minimum requirement. It was entirely my fault. The thing is, I like to start each month with the same balance on my checking account that is less than the requirement. At the end of the month, any amount over the starting is transferred to an interest-earning savings account. I get full control of my finances this way.
For February, however, I was too rash. I transferred my savings amount a day too early, and when the bank checked on me at 8pm on Feb 29th, they saw that I was few short of the requirement and slapped an $8 fee. While I was sleeping! How dare they?
But you know what I did?
I called them. I asked graciously to see if they could help me out with the fee. Please, please, pretty please? and after a few "Let me see"'s later, the fee was gone. Just like that. A memory of the past.
I felt like such a victor! Hoorah! And if I haven't been educated from reading all these pf blogs for the past few months, I don't even think I would have picked up the phone. I would have just let it slide. In an alternate universe, that fee would still be there. Eight dollars. Not much, but I could buy two boba drinks with it! Think about it.
And yes, now I will keep a larger buffer.

3 comments:

  1. Hahahah I just found your blog. I LOVE BOBA. But it is overpriced, but I will always buy some. I grew up near fantastic and cheap boba places and now that I don't, I can only buy some once a month or so as a treat.

    Anyway, glad you got the fee waived. That's always nice :) And it all adds up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boba is my enemy and love. Instead of the latte factor, I have the boba factor. Thank goodness for stamp cards :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Great handling of the situation with the bank! Sounds like a conversation I had with mine in this post:
    http://dontdebt.blogspot.com/2012/02/success.html

    ReplyDelete